Go to Library Homepage Find books, DVDs, music and more

Friday, November 16, 2007

Poetry Friday: Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village

This is a different sort of book for our Poetry Friday this week. Laura Amy Schlitz is a school librarian who created this series of monologues and dialogues, most written in verse, for her students to perform. In the voices of people living in the Middle Ages, these little plays bring history alive. Many of the characters know each other as they live around the same manor in England in 1255. Some are wealthy, some are paupers, and all are fascinating. Here is a sample, taken from the monologue of Simon, the knight's son.

Ever since I was four or five years old
I knew I'd be a knight. I could see myself,
a brawny stallion between my knees,
riding into battle.


Click here to reserve this book.

No comments: