Go to Library Homepage Find books, DVDs, music and more

Friday, February 29, 2008

Happy Leap Day Poetry Friday!




It isn't often that we have a February 29th, let alone one that falls on a Friday! So today I feel that I have chosen a Poetry Friday book special enough for Leap Day. My selection is Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo (Poems) by Linda Sue Park. This book is a collection of poems written in the Sijo form of Korean poetry. Like haiku, sijo poetry must follow certain rules. Each of the three lines must have fourteen to sixteen syllables. And each line also has a special purpose: to introduce the topic, develop the topic, and finally to contain some kind of unexpected twist or joke.






My favorite sijo in the book is called "Art Class":



Keesha says my fish doesn't look like anything she's ever seen.



"Flowered fins? Plaid scales? And the tail - tie-dyed weirdo green?"



In this ocean, I am Queen. That tail, my dear, is aquamarine.






If you'd like to check out this fun book, click here to place your request.

No comments: